Studying Dentistry in the UAE

If you are interested in studying dentistry in the UAE, there are a number of dental degree programs available. Currently there are 8 schools in the UAE that offer degree programs for dental students.

The 8 UAE dental schools are located in Ajman, Dubai, Ras Al Khaimah and Sharjah. Below is a list of the UAE dental schools. You can also see a complete list of dental degrees that are offered by each dental school in the UAE in the information section of our blog.

Before you decide on studying dentistry in the UAE, make sure that the school is accredited by the Ministry of Higher Education and Scientific Research in the UAE.

Ajman

Ajman University of Science & Technology – College of Dentistry

Gulf Medical University – College of Dentistry

Dubai

Dubai School of Dental Medicine (Dubai Healthcare City)

European University College* (Dubai Healthcare City)

Maktoum Bin Hamdan Dental University College

* Formerly known as Nicolas & Asp University College

Ras Al Khaimah

Ras Al Khaimah Medical and Health Sciences University – College of Dental Sciences

Sharjah

University of Sharjah – College of Dentistry

Sharjah Women’s College

While there are colleges and universities in Abu Dhabi, Fujairah and Umm Al Quwain, there are no dental schools in those emirates at the moment.

Are you interested in studying dentistry in the UAE? What college are you going to and why?

NOTE: Information for this blog was provided by the dentist/dental clinic or retrieved from the public domain. This is not an advertisement. Inclusion in this blog is not an endorsement by The Dental Card and is provided for informational purposes only.

The Dental Card

The Dental Card is an alternative to dental insurance.

96 Comments
Solomon

do I have to be a resident before I can attend a dental college in UAE? many thanks for your help.

The Dental Card

Hi Solomon, yes you do need a residency visa before you can go to school in the UAE. Some colleges/universities help with sponsoring students but not all. We are in the process of investigating this further and will post a blog about it soon.

Abdulrahman

which is the best college from the mentioned colleges regarding dentistry? anyone with experience please let me know?

The Dental Card

Great question Abdulrahman! It probably depends on what field of dentistry you want to study as well. We’ll send this message out on Twitter and Facebook. Hopefully some people will offer you solid advice.

Best of luck!

sreeram

All colleges are in other emirates i.e. Dubai, Ajman, Sharjah. Nothing in Abu Dhabi for Dentists

dowdy

I already have a Biology undergraduate degree from an American University and am looking to switch careers. What admission requirements should I focus on?

Nabil

Hi, I found this in the PQR 2011 :
Special Note: Non UAE Nationals accepted into HAAD accredited residency programs will not require additional experience after successful completion of internship is required.
What are these residency programs (dental) ? I want to know if by attending a 1-year GP program, i can apply for jobs ?

The Dental Card

Dear Nabil,

We aren’t as familiar with the HAAD requirements as we are with the DHA requirements. In the near future we plan on doing further posts about the dental license procedure in Abu Dhabi.

Best of luck!

abdul wahab siddiqui

I am a bds from india with 1 year of experience. I see that i need to clear dha and have 3 years experience to work in uae. My question if there is any oppertunity to work with 1 year experience under supervision while i complete the required period here in uae? (After clearing dha ofcourse) regards

Robert

Dear The Dental Card,
If I got accepted into an internship program (dental residency) or wish to work in an hospital, do I need experience of 3 years ?

The Dental Card

Dear Robert,

If we understand your situation, you are asking if there is a requirement of 3 years experience to join a dental internship/residency program in Dubai. The short answer to that is, “No, you do not need 3 years experience” but please continue reading for further information.

Before you can practice dentistry (whether it’s as an intern, resident or general dentist), you must first complete a dental program such as a BDS, DDS or DMD. Next you must meet the experience requirements set forth by the Dubai Health Authority (DHA):
1) Internship: no experience
2) Residency: 1 year internship
3) General dentist: 3 years (including an internship)

For both an internship and a residency, you must enrol in an approved program/facility. You can contact the DHA to make sure the internship or residency program you join will earn you credit towards the experience requirements for a dentist license.

We hope this answered your question. Good luck!

The Dental Card

Dear Varisha,

Most of the colleges do offer some form of scholarship or financial aid. There are different criteria and various levels of financial aid. Most of the financial aid appears to be based on academic merit (either from your high school transcripts or while enrolled in the college).

It is best to contact the colleges directly and see what type of financial aid you are eligible for. Good luck!

Layal

I would like to know if there is any dental college in Dubai that accept students who are transferring from Saudi Arabia,Riyadh to Dubai.

searching

Assalaam alaikum..I would like to know if there is bds in ‘dubai medical college for girls’ and is there any other college specifically for girls offering bds ?

The Dental Card

Walaikum assalam Samia.

Dubai Women’s College does not offer any dental-related BDS programs. Sharjah Women’s College (which is a beautiful campus), offers a dental hygienist program but does not have a program for a dental sciences degree.

Hope that helps. Good luck!

Dr.Faraz Ahmed

I have completed my BDS from India.
i would like to complete my post graduation (MDS) in the field of endodontics or prosthodontics.
i would like to know about the best dental colleges that offers such courses for foreign student and there probable fee structure.
and the possible scholarship programmes if any.
Thanking you.

The Dental Card

Dear Dr. Faraz,

Thank you for commenting on our blog. Here is a link to a list of dental colleges in the UAE and which degree programs they offer. http://blog.thedentalcard.com/information/uae-dental-schools-programs/

There doesn’t seem to be a dental school in the UAE offering a post graduate program in prosthodontics. 2 dental colleges offer post graduate programs in endodontics: 1) Dubai School of Dental Medicine and 2) European University College.

Both of these dental colleges are located in Dubai.

The Dental Card

Hi Fatima, where you decide to study is really a personal decision. One of the things to consider is whether a dental college in the UAE offers the type of dentistry degree you want to complete.

We hope some past and present dental college students in the UAE come on to voice their opinions. Good luck!

aalia

I have studied dentistry in Ajman, and I am currently doing my internship. I would like to know what is the next step for me? Is it true that I have to work for 3 years unpaid because I am a foreigner?

SB

Hi,
I needed to know if i can join private hospitals in dubai for internship program or residency program for dentist in order to be in practice. i have cleared dha and also joined a private clinic but had to leave due to certain issues,i m in search of good start but failed to get any.

sahar

Hey…I have same issue as u….Pls help me if u have got to know of anythng. M currently working in ajman n will be quitting in months time…I wanna join residency program in uhds..do let.me no plsss

Madiha Riaz

Can you please tell me if a MClinDent in restorative dentistry from a UK university will be accepted as a specialist field? As i have heard that it is not a recognized field. Also can you or any1 tell me if it will be accepted as masters by HAAD/MOH?

TOUSIF

Did you get any information on this ? Does a restorative dentist have to give MOH examination ? And do we need experience after doing this .

mohak amin

I am dentist in india having 1 year exp. I want to study in dubai or job … pls help

Hamza

Salaams,
I’m hopeful to get a seat this year at one of the universities above. However, i hear rumours going around that if I graduate in the UAE, i cannot work in the UAE. Is that true?

fancy

Hiiii,
I have done BDS from India in 2000 and I was working in Kuwait for 8 years as a dentist till 2008 and then I moved to united states. Iam working as an instructor in a Dental assisting school in New York right now since I don’t have the licence to practice Dentistry here. I am planning to move to Dubai next year. Can You please tell me what are the requirements needed to work as a dentist in Dubai. I am eligible to apply for US citizenship since I
am a green card holder. If a get the Us citizenship would they still consider my Indian degree still?pls help

Helen

Hi!
Does anyone know if I can study oral implantology in UAE and where?
Thanks!

Mariam

Hello,

I am writing to ask for some information related to the one year internship program that some universities such as University of Sharjah are offering. I am a BDS graduate from Pakistan, with one year of work experience in the form of housejob. Could you kindly help me with the following queries:

1. How can I apply for this program, and what would be the requirements?
2. When would be the right time to apply?
3. Will this internship program be counted as work experience internationally such as in the United Kingdom?
4. Can one apply for the Dubai licensing exam after completing this internship program?
5. As I do have one year work experience should I apply for
residency program or internship?

Doctor's advice

Hi. I was doing DDS from Ajman university of Science and Technology before switching to BDS in Pakistan. All I can say is, I kept asking the dean to speed up the process of getting the university recognized by WHO, and all he said was they are ‘in process’ for 10 years! It’s been more than 15 years now, and they haven’t gotten it accredited yet. Check with PM&DC for the recognition of these universities before splurging your money in them. They are charging the same as the universities in UK. Hence, it’s better to get into any reputed university in UK; it’ll be worth the money.

Aisha

i want to do internship/housejob in any emirate of UAE.can some one guide me.I have recently finished my bds from Pakistan.

Doctor's advice

Doctor's advice

Noor-ul-Hira

AOA, dental card,
I have done my BDS in 2012 completed my internship in 2013 from Pakistan i am looking for the proper guidelinethat how to apply for the postgraduation in UAE and what are the requirements i have to fullfill please can you guide me i ll be looking forward for your response.

Mahsa

Dear,
I am British and would like to study dentistry in UAE. my questions are:
– Am I eligible to study in UAE?
– Would I be able to get a full fund from the University in UAE?
– What are the entry requirements?
– How long is the course?
– Which Universities I could apply to?
Any information regarding this would be much appreciated since I have no idea where to start.

Kind Regards,

Mahsa

Asaf Aboobakker

Hai, I have completed my masters in oral medicine and radiology.. I wish to know if there is any opportunity available in any of these colleges.. Thanks..

DentistT

Do these universities offer a masters or a residency program? I’m looking for a residency program where I get paid instead of a masters where I have to pay fees. I carry a GCC passport

Benjamin A.Blackburn,II

I sent my vitae in response to Prosthodontic teachuing positions

Asma

Aoa I have completed my BDS in 2012 from Pakistan and internship in 2013. I have recently passed FCPS part 1 in dentistry in June 2014. I want to know about the post graduate training programs in Dubae or Abu Dahbi. Please guide me about the requirements which I have to full fill. And also I want to know course outline for DHA or MOH. Thanks

dr.arsheen azzam

I am an indian destist passed out in 2013..I want to knw about the residency or internship program..if we do this in uae are we eligible to work in uae..as I dont hav two yrs experience

AROUJ

assalam o alaikum,
I have a BDS degree , with one year of experiance from Pakistan. If i get into a 3 year Masters program in Dubai Medical and Dental College .Then with that MDS degree ,would i have enough years of experiance to be eligible for the DOH license exam? Also is this MDS degree recognized in US or not .
Your reply will be appreciated . Thank you 🙂

Afroze

Hi! I have studied BDS from Pakistan along with a one year housejob.Can I apply for Postgraduate studies at Dubai/UAE?Am I legible for that?And what are the requirements for applying to a Postgraduate course?And once I am done with Postgraduation will I be able to get a job in UAE?

fareedah

Please help me I really want to study in U.A.E. starting from this month. But every university I apply for keep telling me seat are full for dentistry and I really can’t wait till next year. Please help me and non of the universities have spring semester. Some do not even have online application and I don’t leave in U.A.E I can only apply online. Please help me please.

Doctor's advice

There are dearth of universities in UAE offering dentistry. But in a way it’s good because you can find out about each universities and compare which is the better one. Please check if the university you’re interested in is recognized by WHO, because if it not then it’s seriously a waste of money having studied 4-5 years and the certificate you get would be a piece of crap.

honey

foreign graduate degree..without 2 yrs experience…want to work or study in uae..plz give options

marium

I have done BDS from pakistan what are the requirements if i want to work in dubai as a dentist?can anyone please guide me?

Doctor's advice

To work in UAE, you need a MOH/DOH license. Google to know the difference between the exams. Once you have cleared the exam, which will cost you AED 100, you can start practicing in any dental clinic/institute because the eligibility criteria is a year experience for internship. Since there are dearth of universities in UAE, you will have a lot of competition for the seat. If you have a relative or a friend who is currently residing in UAE, ask them to pay a visit in any institute and ask the administration there for vacancy in an internship program. Hope that helps.

Doctor's advice

To land a job, you need to clear MOH/DOH exam. The exam comprises of MCQs only, and it cost AED 100 only. Once you clear, start looking for a job in classified section. Most clinics will accept you with 1 year’s experience in dental field. But, most institutes in UAE will ask for 3 years experience.

Sobia Hayat

Hey i am about to finish my BDS program from a well reputed university in Pakistan, after which i’d be doing my internship here. I would like to know the opportunities for a dental graduate student in UAE. Also guide me about the exam that i need to pass in order to practice as a dentist in UAE.
Thanking you,
Sobia

Doctor's advice

If you just want to work in UAE, you need to clear MOH/DOH exam, and once you get the license, start looking up jobs in classified section of Khaleejtimes/Gulfnews. Most clinics in UAE accept 1 year experience but the institutes would want at least 3 years’ experience

riya

Hi, I am a 3rd year BDS student from India. I currently stay in dubai. Can I apply for a migration transfer and continue here in any of the dental colleges?Please reply as it would be of great help to me.

Thanks.

abdul wahab siddiqui

Hi i am a bds from india. I do not have any experience except 6 months mandatory internship. I came here in dubai to visit my sister. I really liked this place. I was curious to know if i have any oppurtunity here to study further and get masters degree. If i have any other option as per your knowledge about dental scene here please let me know. Regards.

Yousuf

My name is mohammad yousuf sultani from afghanistan i am graduated from kabul medical university faculty of dentistry and have a DM degree in dentistry , now i am looking for an internship program in dentistry in UAE , an after that doing my residency program in UAE so can you help me in this case

Best regards
Mohammad yousuf sultani

golnoosh

i wanted to know if there is any university in UAE offering master in radiology and if there is no which masters are available in UAE?

Dr. Ameer Mohammed

Hello,

I am a dentist with over 20 years of experience in general dentistry including oral surgery, operative dentistry, prosthodontics and specialized in community dentistry.

I am looking to explore career opportunities in the Middle East, particularly UAE. Kindly let me know if how should I go about it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Please email me at dr_khan98@yahoo.com / iqbalharis@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance!

Dr s

Hi
I had done my bds from India.i even cleared my moh exam. Now I got more than a year of lapse from working and I was told I,ll need to get fresh 6 months experience. How do I enroll in any university for work experience. And will I loose my moh in the mean time as it,ll cross one year if take another 6 more months.

Akhilesh Mittal

Can a student who has done UG/PG degree from dubai in dental, practice in india

Dr. N. Rajavel

My Daughter has completed BDS in India. Now I would like to admit her in MDS abroad. Since I have to give more Capitation fee here in India, please suggest some best MDS colleges without capitation fees and less amount of fees suitable for a middle class family.

prajwa

Hi, i have done my BDS from India and i have 1 1/2 yr experience. now as Iam getting married to a guy who is settled in Dubai, im planning to do my Pg there. Please tell me the procedures and the exams which i have to write to do my PG in UAE

Fahed

Hi there,
I am in my last year in high school and decided to to study dentistry.
I currently live in Dubai and was born here.
I was wondering if there is a university in Dubai which offers dentistry and what are the requirements for this University.

Thank you.

Swap

Dear sir
Please Let Me Knw about MDS courses fees in Dubai sharjah and abudhabi n kindly Advice me that which is a better place among three?

Ahmed

Hi
i would like to place the same question that has not got any replies which is after doing DDS where can a fresh graduate apply for internship?
Thanks you

Kanchan bagal

I am an intern in india and will complete my bds by may 2016 i wish to continue my education in UAE by doing my masters. Could you please guide me with the exams required and all the other formalities.
Thank you so much.

maliha

Hello
I did my bds from hyderabad India and I want to go for sum diploma courses in endodontic can u give me details of did in sharjah

hiba khan

can i know if i do my 1year internship from any university in uae would i be able to work without giving any exam??

Dr. Ali farrukh

I have applied for three years part time mclindent implantology from UK
8 years after my bds from Pakistan.
What is the scope for this clinical masters in UAE. Or I should do phd before applying for job in UAE.

Any phd programme in UAE in prostho

Jaz

Hello

I am an Afghan student Studying Bachelor of Dental Surgery in China. This my last year of the course here and I would have to intern for an year from January 2017-2018 before I graduate. I have UAE residency

Kindly let me know if there are any internship spots available in any UAE teaching hospital.

Looking forward to your cooperation.

Anjali

Hi ,i am a 3rd yr bds student from india .i currently stay in dubai. Can i apply for a migration transfer amd continue my course here in any of the dental colleges? Plz reply it will be a great help for me.

Sahba

Hello
Good day I’m come from Sweden am 23 years old I would like study Dentisty what’s kind Ducument I need for aply there is need any IELTS language for going inside Universiy in Ajman and I want know only need high school and pre university or did we need any exam prov and if you give me information about how much cost very years for Dentisty termin and lif and all information it’s the big kind from you
With the best regard
Saba

faranak

hello to whom it may concern ,
i am citizen of canada and just graduate frome high school i would like to know the pre request of you dentistury program in order to get accepted at your universityand also would like to know the tution fee .

Adarsh

Hai,
I have done BDS from India. Had one year of rotatory internship also. Currently working in a private clinic. I would like to do my MDS in orthodontics or endodontics from dubai or sharjah. Can u sent me the links of the best colleges which i can enquire about this.
Thank you.

jennibeth baco dypiangco

Good day! I worked as a dental assistant in abu dhabi and I finished bachelors In science of nursing in the philippines. I wanted to pursue dentistry.. what are the needed requirements? and how many years do I need to study?

Dental student

Hello, I recently received my BDS degree from Sudan and i am a British passport holder.
I would like to apply for an internship in Abu Dhabi or dubai but i don’t know where to start.
Please, any help would be much appreciated.

Aisha

Hi I am studying BDS in India and I really want to move back to the Middle East and master in Orthodontics. Is that possible and do I need to write the MOH or DOH exams ?

Sab

Hi. I am from Canada I am a dental assistant and have been for 5 years, but would like to become a dentist. I was wondering if I would like to study in the UAE. What would be my requirements?